Dave Brown VAT Consultant

Tel:01626 361140
Email: dave@davebrownvat.com
Skip to content

"DIY Housebuilders" schemeVat Consultant - Dave Brown - Listed Building Specialist

This is a scheme set up to allow DIY housebuilders, and others the opportunity to reclaim VAT spent out on building materials and some other services, utilised in three specific types of building project.

  1. Building a new house, from the ground up, on a bare plot.  This would be a claim for materials alone, where 20% VAT was paid on those materials.
  2. Converting a non-residential property into a house.  This could be a typical barn conversion, or an office conversion.  The VAT claim comprises VAT at 20% VAT on materials, as before, together with 5% VAT charged on building works.
  3. Refurbishing a house that has been empty for more than 10 years.  Again, 20% on materials alone and 5% on building services. 

The term “DIY” is a bit of a misnomer, as you don’t have to do it all yourself’ in fact, you don’t have to get your hands dirty at all, you just have to be the one commissioning the work.

How can I help?

Well, I can do as much or as little as you want – from scheduling all your invoices and submitting the claim, to simply casting an eye over your hard work, before you submit the claim

It’s not rocket science, but there are areas where you can come unstuck:

  • Does it fall within the scheme?  I spoke to a lady recently who had completed a barn conversion, but it was connected to her main house, by a glass link.  This didn’t qualify at all as it wasn’t the creation of a new dwelling.  She had bought all the materials herself and was somewhat dismayed to find that she wouldn’t qualify for a claim.  However, had she known this at the start, she could have arranged for the materials to be supplied by a VAT registered contractor, who could have zero rated much of the work – it was a listed building, as it happened.
  • Is there any residential element in the building already?  For instance, if you convert a pub with a flat above, it might not qualify.
  • Is the building to be converted within the grounds of another property?  Has the local authority deemed that the new building must be used only in connection with the ‘main’ house?  This would rule out a claim.
  • Have you included invoices from a surveyor, an architect or some other professional of this sort?  Note – these cannot be claimed?  Likewise direct costs for scaffolding, plant hire or tools/plant.

For a free no-obligation chat, please call and I will happily advise on whether a claim can be made.